Meet Bear - grapes ingestion warning

We recently had Bear in the clinic to induce vomiting after he had eaten some grapes at home. Luckily his owner caught him eating them and called the clinic promptly.

The ingestion of grapes and raisins may cause kidney failure in dogs which often results in death. Clinical signs of grape and raisin ingestion can be shown as vomiting and diarrhoea within the first 6 to 8 hours of ingestion, which is then usually followed by a decrease in activity and a lack of appetite. Affected dogs may also drink and urinate more as the kidneys are affected. As the disease progresses urine may stop being produced by the kidneys and death can be a result of this.

If ingestion of raisins and grapes is caught early enough then we can induce vomiting before they have time to be absorbed by the body. If caught too late for vomiting to be induced then the course of treatment is usually intravenous fluids and medication as well as other supportive measures. If you are worried that your dog may have ingested raisins or grapes, please call the clinic so that one of our vets can advise the best treatment for them.

Share